Sparks City Council Meeting 4/25/2016
Monday, April 25, 2016 2:00 PM
Council Chambers, Legislative Bldg, 745 Fourth St, Sparks
1. Call to Order
2. Roll Call
3. Opening Ceremonies
3.1 Invocation Speaker: Pastor Barb West
Sparks Nazarene Church
- 3.2 Pledge of Allegiance
4. Public Comment
- 6.1 Consideration and possible approval of the minutes of the regular Sparks City Council meeting of April 11, 2016. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
7. Announcements, Presentations, Recognition Items and Items of Special Interest
- 7.1 Presentation: Sparks Middle School 50th Anniversary Invitation
- 7.2 Proclamation: "Pay It Forward - Tristin Hurley Day"
- 7.3 Proclamation: "Longford, Ireland Day"
- 7.4 Proclamation: "Fair Housing Month"
- 7.5 Proclamation: "Medical Laboratory Week"
- 7.6 Proclamation: "Arbor Day"
- 7.7 Commendation: "The Faith Forum Celebrates Five Years in Print"
- 7.8 Sparks Fire Department Project SAFE - Remembering When, A Fire and Fall Prevention Program for Older Adults
8. Consent Items
- 8.1 Report of Claims and Bills approved for payment and appropriation transfers for the period March 24, 2016 through April 6, 2016. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
- 8.2 Consideration and possible approval of an application for a Gaming license for Nugget Sparks, LLC, dba Nugget Casino Resort, located at 1100 Nugget Ave., Sparks, NV, 89431, submitted by Mr. Anthony A. Marnell III. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
- 8.3 2016 State Emergency Response Commission Hazardous Materials Emergency Preparedness Grant acceptance for Continuing Challenge Hazardous Materials Conference for an amount of up to $15,885. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
- 8.4 Consideration and possible approval to purchase the equipment and labor to up-fit seven police vehicles and three fire vehicles from Lehr Auto Electric in the amount of $100,989.09. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
- 8.5 Consideration and possible approval of Change Order 1 to the Headworks Improvements Project construction contract at the Truckee Meadows Water Reclamation Facility with K.G. Walters Construction Co., Inc. for an amount not to exceed $300,000.00, with the City of Sparks’ portion being $94,110. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
9. General Business
- 9.1 Presentation and discussion on the Comprehensive Plan including an update on the preliminary Phase 2 Public Outreach survey results and review of the project schedule. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
- 9.2 Presentation, discussion, direction to staff, and potential approval of the new Smarter Region economic development brand vision statement. TIME CERTAIN AT 2:30 p.m. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
- 9.3 Consideration and Possible Approval of Resolution No. 3292 in Support of Comprehensive Federal Public Lands Legislation; and Providing Other Matters Properly Related Thereto. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
- 9.4 Consideration and possible award of the 2016 Street Rehabilitation – Unit 3 contract AC-5233, Bid No. 15/16-009, PWP-WA-2016-113 to Sierra Nevada Construction, in the amount of $1,657,007. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
- 9.5 Consideration and possible award of the 2016 Permanent Patch contract AC-5234, Bid No. 15/16-010, PWP No. WA-2016-116, to Sierra Nevada Construction, Inc. in the amount of $298,007. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
- 9.6 Consideration and possible approval to purchase seventy traffic signal controllers, and eighty traffic signal cabinet modifications from Intermountain Traffic in the amount of $279,400. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
- 9.7 Consideration and approval of an Interlocal Cooperative Agreement number AC-5235 (NM124-16-016) with the Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) to provide installation of 35 NDOT furnished traffic signal controllers. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
- 9.8 Consideration and approval of Interlocal Cooperative Agreement AC-5236 (NM077-16-015), with the Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) to provide maintenance for 41 NDOT signalized intersections within the City of Sparks. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
- 9.9 Consideration and possible approval of an Interlocal Cooperative Agreement AC-5237 with Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) to provide maintenance on landscaping improvements in the area of the McCarran Boulevard and Pyramid interchange (NM781-15-015). (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
- 9.10 Consideration, discussion, and possible approval of fiscal year 2016-2017 budget recommendations and fiscal items including 1) the City Manager’s recommendations for the City of Sparks final budget; and 2) the proposed five year Capital Improvement Plan. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
10. Public Hearing and Action Items Unrelated to Planning and Zoning
- 10.1 Second reading, Public hearing, discussion, and possible adoption of Bill No. 2705 amending Chapter 5.52 of the Sparks Municipal Code: an Ordinance amending the Sparks Municipal Code relating to hotels, motels and other rented short-term lodging; revising provisions pertaining to police inspection of hotel, motel and other lodging registers and registration systems; broadening the definition of registration systems to include modern electronic systems; allowing the owner or operator of hotels, motels and other rented properties to seek pre-compliance judicial review of police demands for inspection of registers and registration systems; and providing other matters properly related thereto. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
11. Planning and Zoning Public Hearings and Action Items
- 11.1 None
12. Closed Door Sessions
- 12.1 None
- 13.1 Comments from the Public
- 13.2 Comments from City Council and City Manager