Sparks City Council Meeting 9/23/2019 2:00:00 PM
Monday, September 23, 2019 2:00 PM
Council Chambers, Legislative Bldg, 745 4th Street, Sparks, NV
1. Call to Order
2. Roll Call
3. Opening Ceremonies
3.1 Invocation Speaker: Pastor Pete Vossler
Crosswinds Assembly of God
- 3.2 Pledge of Allegiance
4. Public Comment
- 6.1 Consideration and possible approval of the minutes of the Sparks City Council meeting for September 9, 2019. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
7. Announcements, Presentations, Recognition Items and Items of Special Interest
- 7.1 Proclamation: "International Walk to School Day"
- 7.2 Proclamation: "Fire Prevention Week"
- 7.3 Proclamation: "National Fallen Firefighters Memorial Service"
- 7.4 Presentation: Housing Our Future, A Regional Strategy for Housing Affordability in the Truckee Meadows
- 7.5 Boards and Commissions Vacancy Announcement: Sparks Citizens Advisory Committee
- 7.6 Boards and Commissions Vacancy Announcement: Sparks Senior Citizens Advisory Committee
- 7.7 Boards and Commissions Vacancy Announcement: Arts and Culture Advisory Committee
8. Consent Items
- 8.1 Consideration and possible acceptance of the report of the claims and bills approved for payment and appropriation transfers for the period of August 23, 2019 through September 9, 2019. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
- 8.2 Consideration, discussion and possible approval of an Outdoor Dining and Encroachment Permit (AC-5606) for Pinon Bottle located at 1130 Avenue of the Oaks, Suite 180, Sparks, Nevada (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
- 8.3 Consideration, discussion, and possible approval of a design services contract (AC-5607)in the amount of $74,800 for the Rockwood Drive and Glen Meadow Drive Storm Drain Improvements Project with Odyssey Engineering Incorporated. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
- 8.4 Consideration, discussion, and possible authorization to the City Attorney to initiate civil forfeiture cases on behalf of the City relating to Sparks Police Department case numbers 19-4471 and 19-6021. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
9. General Business
- 9.1 Consideration, discussion and possible approval of reimbursement to the City of Reno for Change Order No. 1 to the Digester 2 Cover Rehabilitation Project construction contract with Farr Construction Corporation dba Resource Development Company at the Truckee Meadows Water Reclamation Facility (TMWRF) for an amount not to exceed $170,000 with the City of Sparks’ share being $53,329.00. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
- 9.2 Consideration, discussion and possible ratification of the City Manager's authorization of an expenditure in the amount of $69,139.63 to purchase a gearbox from Alfa-Laval Inc. for the Truckee Meadows Water Reclamation Facility. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
- 9.3 Consideration, discussion, and possible approval of agreement (AC-5608) between the cities of Sparks and Reno, and Washoe County to manage collectively owned water rights pursuant to the Truckee River Operating Agreement. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
- 9.4 Consideration, discussion, and possible ratification of the City Manager's execution of a contract (AC-5603) between the City of Sparks and Koch Elevator Co. in the amount of $95,815.55. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
- 9.5 Consideration, discussion, and possible approval of a Cooperative Local Public Agency Agreement (AC-5610) with the Nevada Department of Transportation for a grant designated for the City of Sparks Regional Trail Rehabilitation Project that provides a 95% reimbursement to the City of Sparks of up to $285,000. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
- 9.6 Consideration, discussion and possible approval of Resolution No. 3352, authorizing certain individuals to make financial commitments to purchase, sell and approve collateral for investment securities on behalf of the City. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
- 9.7 Consideration, discussion, and possible approval of Resolution No. 3353, adopting the Nevada Local Government Records Management Program Manual and the Nevada Local Government Records Retention Schedules; defining confidential information; and adopting a policy for establishing fees associated with public records requests. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
- 9.8 FIRST READING of Bill No. 2764, amending Sparks Municipal Code Section 13.24.020 and 13.24.030 to correct the Sewer and Storm Drain Connection Fees and providing for other matters properly related thereto.
- 9.9 FIRST READING of Bill No. 2765, amending Chapter 5.28 of the Sparks Municipal Code by adding thereto provisions allowing some alcoholic beverage licensees to fill growlers and crowlers; allowing alcohol service by caterers; and providing other matters properly related thereto.
10. Public Hearing and Action Items Unrelated to Planning and Zoning
- 10.1 PUBLIC HEARING, discussion and possible approval of the City of Sparks Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER) for Program Year 4, Fiscal Year 2018-19, to the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
- 10.2 PUBLIC HEARING, consideration and possible approval of a Memorandum of Understanding (AC-5609) between the city of Sparks and the Operating Engineers Local #3 – Non-Supervisory Unit changing the classification level and pay range for the positions of Traffic Signal Technician Lead and Environmental Control Officer in the Appendix A of the current collective bargaining agreement between the parties effective September 30, 2019. (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
11. Planning and Zoning Public Hearings and Action Items
- 11.1 PUBLIC HEARING, consideration of and possible action on an appeal of the Sparks Planning Commission’s decision to not approve a request for a Conditional Use Permit to allow for the construction and operation of an approximately 4,512 square-foot car wash on a site 1.61 acres in size located at 4620 Wedekind Road, Sparks, Nevada, in the PO (Professional Office) zoning district (PCN19-0023). (FOR POSSIBLE ACTION)
- 12.1 Comments from the Public
- 12.2 Comments from the Mayor, City Council and City Manager