Sparks City Council Meeting 9/23/2019 2:00:00 PMMonday, September 23, 2019 2:00 PM
Council Chambers, Legislative Bldg, 745 4th Street, Sparks, NV
General Business: 9.5
A Business Impact Statement is not required because this is not a rule.
This Cooperative Local Public Agency Agreement (the “Agreement”) starts the design process for a project that will rehabilitate a portion of failing regional trail that is generally located to the south and west of Kiley Ranch North Village 40. The City must initially fund 100% of the construction costs connected to the project, but and the Agreement provides that Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) will reimburse the City 95% of those construction costs, with a maximum reimbursable amount of $285,000. The City will be responsible for providing the additional funding necessary to complete the project. The total cost for the design and construction of the project is currently estimated at $423,400. The City must fund any amount above the NDOT maximum included in the Agreement. The additional cost (estimated at $138,400) is proposed to be paid from Fund 1210, the Impact Fee Service Area (IFSA) #1 Fund. The project trail is considered a regional trail included in the guidelines and plan for IFSA #1. The Cooperative Local Public Agency Agreement allows the City to terminate the agreement if funding availability should change before the project is complete.
NDOT oversees the distribution of Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) funds which are made available to the State through the Federal Highway Administration. The TAP provides up to 95 percent (95%) of project-related cost, with the remaining 5 percent (5%) provided by project sponsor. The TAP provides federal funds for community-based projects that expand travel choices and enhance the transportation experience by integrating modes and improving the cultural, historic, and environmental aspects of our transportation infrastructure.
NDOT made available TAP funding for FY20 projects to support bicycle, pedestrian, multi-use path and transportation-related projects. The City of Sparks applied for funds to rehabilitate a portion of the regional trail that is starting to fail adjacent to the Regional Trail System. The sub-standard path was constructed by a local developer. The developer was never reimbursed for that path because City of Sparks standards were not used, and the design was not accepted. The trail is currently failing and has been closed off for use due to safety concerns. Rehabilitation of this trail will help maintain pedestrian access along the regional trail system. NDOT notified the City in September of 2018 that $300,000 had been programmed towards the project. To initiate the project, the City must first enter into a Cooperative Local Public Agency Agreement (LPA) with NDOT.
An approved LPA will allow the project to move forward by starting the federal project approval process. Requirements include NDOT overview through multiple design submittals, bidding, awarding and construction of the project. City staff will be responsible for preparing design and bid documents, construction management and construction administration. Because of the lengthy project submittal and review process, staff is requesting to begin the design process as soon as possible to be prepared to bid and award the project as soon as possible. Approving the attached agreement does not, in any way, obligate the city to fund construction of the project, but will allow the commencement of the design process.
- City Council could approve the Cooperative Local Public Agency Agreement as outlined by Staff.
- City Council could reject the Cooperative Local Public Agency Agreement and provide direction to the City Manager.
I move to approve Cooperative Local Public Agency Agreement (AC-5610) with the Nevada Department of Transportation for a grant designated for the City of Sparks Regional Trail Rehabilitation Project that provides a 95% reimbursement to the City of Sparks of up to $285,000.
01 – City of Sparks-Regional Trail Rehabilitation Map.pdf
02-PR417-19-063 For Final Signatures.pdf