Sparks City Council Meeting 10/22/2018 2:00:00 PMMonday, October 22, 2018 2:00 PM
Council Chambers, Legislative Bldg, 745 4th St., Sparks, NV
General Business: 9.1
Total Costs: $130,000.00
Fund: General Fund Account: 603242
Program: Federal Legislative (050311)
Amount: $130,000.00 Budget Status: Over Budget (See Budget Correction Plan)
Budget Correction Plan:
The current contract ends on November 30, which crosses the fiscal year. This is also a 2 year contract. FY 20 budget will cover the remaining expense.
A Business Impact Statement is not required because this is not a rule.
The City of Sparks has utilized a contract lobbyist and consultant to assist the city’s federal legislative affairs function in Washington D.C. The City has retained Anja Graves with Cardinal Infrastructure, LLC. since 2003.
The terms of the contract are proposed to be be from 12/01/2018 to 11/30/2020 (two years) with the possibility of two mutually agreed upon extensions with a final termination at 11/30/2024. The extensions, if mutually agreed upon, will include the following rate increases:
From December 1, 2020 through November 30, 2022 yearly rate adjusted by the Bureau of Labor Statistics CPI Series ID: CUURX400SAO Inflation Calculator from December 2020 to November 2022 not to being
less than 3% or exceeding 5%.
From December 1, 2022 through November 30, 2024 yearly rate adjusted by the Bureau of Labor Statistics CPI Series ID: CUURX400SAO Inflation Calculator from December 2022 to November 2024 not to being
less than 3% or exceeding 5%.
The City of Sparks (City) is engaging Cardinal Infrastructure, LLC (Consultant) to provide lobbying and legislative services to represent the City on legislative and political issues of importance to the City.
In conjunction with the City, the Consultant will develop appropriate strategies and advocate for Sparks’ priorities in Washington, D.C. The Consultant’s principal objective is to maintain and build relationships with key federal officials and administration offices, and work to identify possible funding sources in an effort to secure federal capital and operating funding for a variety of projects and programs on behalf of the City.
The Consultant will work with staff and Members of the Sparks’ federal congressional delegation as well as staff of the congressional committees to secure project funding and federal policy that will benefit the City of Sparks.
The Consultant shall perform the following duties and others as assigned:
- Develop short term and long term strategies with the City pertaining to funding and other federal issues.
- Work with the City regarding the political and financial feasibility of its legislative priorities and develop appropriate strategies in consultation with Sparks Legislative Committee with input from the Sparks Council and Department Managers.
- Draft materials and correspondence to support advocacy for the City's legislative platform, appropriations, federal requests, and grant applications.
- Assist the Mayor, City Council Members, and City staff with coordination and interfacing with federal agencies and congressional officials.
- Represent the City in Washington, D.C. by communicating the City's legislative and funding agenda to the appropriate elected representatives, key committee members, federal agencies and other organizations/individuals as needed.
- Provide written updates to the City on pertinent legislation,and progress on City priorities at least once a month, or as requested by the City.
- Participate in the crafting of itineraries and facilitate meetings between City officials, council members and Washington DC delegate staff and various agencies.
- Track the development of federal statutes and regulations that may affect the City, advise on positions the City may take and help communicate these positions to congress and administration departments.
- Provide timely telephone or e-mail updates to designated City staff, provide status reports during the legislative session, and attend meetings as requested.
The City Council could decide to not approve the contract with Cardinal Infrastructure, LLC.
I move to approve the contract terms with Cardinal Infrastructure, LLC in the annual amount of $65,000 for the term of December 1, 2018 through November 30, 2020 with the option to renew these services for an additional four years under mutual consent of both parties.
Cardinal Contract-Lobbying and Legislative Services 12-1-18.pdf
Distributed at mtg from Cardinal Infrastructure AI 9.1.pdf