Sparks City Council Meeting 7/11/2016 2:00:00 PMMonday, July 11, 2016 2:00 PM
Council Chambers, Legislative Building, 745 Fourth Street, Sparks, NV
General Business: 9.5
Total Costs: $427,700.00
Fund: General Fund Account: 603244
Program: Street Maintenance (130515)
Amount: $120,000.00 Budget Status: Over Budget (See Budget Correction Plan)
Fund: General Fund Account: 603244
Program: Parks Maintenance (130520)
Amount: $307,700.00 Budget Status: Over Budget (See Budget Correction Plan)
Budget Correction Plan:
Over Budget message caused by the fact that this contract is for FY17, whereas budget checking is done on the current year (FY16). Budget will be available on 7/1/16 as follows: $307,700 will come from fund 1101 General Fund: Program 130520 - Parks Maintenance (approved FY17 budget available is $307,700) and $120,000 from fund 1101 General Fund Program 130515-Street Maintenance (approved FY17 budget available is $120,000).
A Business Impact Statement is not required because this is not a rule.
Staff is requesting the City Council approve an expenditure of $427,700 for contract labor to support Park Maintenance and Street Maintenance for Fiscal Year 2017.
FY17 will be the fourth full season that Public Works Maintenance will utilize contract workers from Manpower to support Parks Maintenance and Street Maintenance with the following task: Trash pick-up, restroom cleaning, mowing, weed control, Community Service crew, crack sealing, street patching, fill pot holes and cleaning alleys. FY17 will also be the third year Public Works utilizes an inmate crew from the Washoe County Sheriff’s Department to help with weed control and shrub maintenance six months of the year.
The City will be utilizing the “joinder” provision allowed under NRS 332.115 to use the State of Nevada RFP/ Contract number 2029/14026. Specifically, the City will be using a contract for temporary employees issued by the State of Nevada to Manpower. The State’s bid represented high quality temporary employees and the City is able to join this contract and leverage those higher volumes to our benefit.
The Community Services Department plans to utilize the $427,700 to supplement Parks and Street Maintenance in the following amounts:
- $287,700 for Parks Maintenance. This provides for four year-round contract laborer positions performing the following task: 1 to operate a trash truck; 1 to run the Community Service van; 2 to help with irrigation in the summer and weed spraying and tree trimming in the winter. Eight additional seasonal contract labor positions during the summer to perform the following task: 5 assigned to the mow crew; 1 to operate an additional trash truck; 1 to cover the trash trucks days off; 1 to help with downtown cleaning, canopy cleaning and weeds.
- $120,000 for Street Maintenance. This provides for4 year-round contract laborer positions performing the following task: crack sealing, street patching, fill potholes and cleaning alleys
- $20,000 for Washoe County Sheriff’s. This provides the city with a dedicated work crew with 6 inmates and one crew supervisor 5 days a week for 6 months to perform park cleaning, edging, shrub maintenance and weeding.
1. The City Council can approve the expenditure as submitted by Staff.
2. The City Council can reject the request and provide direction to the City Manager.
I move to approve the use of contract labor in the amount of $427,700 during Fiscal Year 2017.