Sparks City Council Meeting 10/23/2017 2:00:00 PMMonday, October 23, 2017 2:00 PM
Council Chambers, Legislative Bldg., 745 4th St. , Sparks, NV
General Business: 9.1
A Business Impact Statement is not required because this is not a rule.
The Community Assistance Center (CAC) is jointly funded by the City of Reno, the City of Sparks and Washoe County through an annual cooperative agreement. The agreement allows for the pooled resources of the jurisdictions to support (1) shelter operations of the Men's, Women's and Family Shelters; and (2) on-site security.
At a joint meeting on May 2, 2011, an oversight board to the Community Assistance Center was created due to the complexities of the services at the CAC - potential impacts to the community arising from them - and that they will continue to present issues that require policy decisions.
The approved motion at the May 2, 2011 meeting was to refer the decision regarding the formation, composition and purpose of an oversight board to the Shared Services Committee.
Per the annual Interlocal Agreement:
The City of Sparks, Washoe County and City of Reno created a Transitional Governing Board (TGB) for the purpose of oversight, planning, coordinating and managing resources for the provision of shelter operations and services at the Community Assistance Center (CAC) and to establish policies and priorities as they relate to these operations. Specifically, the TGB will:
- Approve the document and selection processes that are used to select the shelter operator;
- Approve specific performance measures and outcomes that will be used to 1) frame the selection process and 2) become the basis for a performance-based contract with the operator;
- Receive and review regular reports on compliance and implementation of the specific performance measures and outcomes;
- Approve long-term plans and policies to further the goals of the Homeless Emergency Assistance and Rapid Transition to Housing Act ("HEARTH Act");
- Set and approve policies that affect the CAC.
Working with the TGB, the three jurisdictions jointly collaborate and support the operations and management of the shelter services provided at the CAC, including negotiations of contracts, budgets, reporting requirements and program oversight.
The current membership consists of:
- David Bobzien, Councilmember, At-Large, City of Reno;
- Kitty Jung, County Commissioner, District 3, Washoe County; and
- Geno Martini, Mayor, City of Sparks.
Mayor Martini would like to step down and appoint Kristopher Dahir, Council Member, Ward 5 in his place.
Council could give other direction.
I move to confirm the appointment of Kristopher Dahir to the CAC-Transitional Governing Board.