Sparks City Council Meeting 10/9/2017 2:00:00 PMMonday, October 9, 2017 2:00 PM
Council Chambers, Legislative Bldg., 745 4th St. , Sparks, NV
General Business: 9.1
Total Costs: $622,285.00
Fund: Motor Vehicle Maintenance Account: 604080
Program: Fire Apparatus Replacement Plan in Motor Vehicle Fund (100902)
Amount: $622,285.00 Budget Status: Budget Exists
A Business Impact Statement is not required because this is not a rule.
Equipment Services is requesting authorization to spend $622,285 to replace one fire pumper for the Fire Department.
This request is for the purchase of one fire pumper #3126. This vehicle will replace one of four existing fire pumpers 31051, 384C, 386B, or 396B. The existing pumpers are American LaFrance trucks and have not been mechanically reliable. The manufacturer has gone out of business, and replacement parts are increasingly getting hard to acquire. If approved, the new pumper will not arrive until October 2018. Equipment services are requesting authority to choose which of the four existing pumpers would be replaced based on unit operational readiness during the next year.
Staff from the Fire Department and Equipment services have researched extensively fire truck manufacturers and visited their manufacturing facilities. Rosenbauer was chosen based on several criteria:
- Rosenbauer offered the best price for the product and we liked their manufacturing process.
- Rosenbauer parts are not proprietary, and they provide manufacturers part numbers in their parts books.
- Rosenbauer is a worldwide company.
- Factory and service centers are located nearby, not on the east coast.
- Rosenbauer has a lifetime warranty on their body.
- Rosenbauer offers Green Star options that reduce or eliminate idle time.
In sourcing the vehicle, if approved, the City would be using the joinder provision allowed under NRS 332.195, and purchasing the vehicle utilizing the HGAC (Houston-Galveston Area Council) bid. These bids have historically been the most competitive. Utilizing the “joinder” provision allows the City to precisely define the vehicle needed while foregoing the need to bid the item formally.
- Council could approve this purchase as outlined by staff.
- Council could deny this purchase, and provide direction to the City Manager.
I move to approve the purchase of one fire pumper from Graham Fire Apparatus/Rosenbauer in the amount of $622,285.
3126 pumper City of Sparks NV Contract Pricing Sheet 08-2017.pdf
3126 pumper Sparks NV RMN FS12-15 Options 08 - 2017.pdf